FROM "BLACK BOX VIEW," ON PAGE 45:
1. How many years did it take John Bogle Jr. to move the Bogle Small Cap Growth Fund from Morningstar's bottom 4% to the top 16%?
FROM "BACK FROM THE FUTURE," ON PAGE 49:
2. A growing number of states permit the transfer of an existing trust into a new one that better reflects the planning landscape. What is this called?
c. automatic trust transfer
FROM "PENSION TENSION," ON PAGE 87:
3. New Jersey is working to close its pension liability by:
a. directing part-time workers into a defined contribution plan
b. calculating pensions on one state job only
c. capping accrued sick leave for future workers
d. all of the above
4. Why would younger clients contribute to the public employees' defined contribution plan rather than a defined benefit plan?
a. they question the availability of retiree health subsidies
b. defined contribution plans are more portable
c. responses: "a" and "b"
d. none of the above
FROM "GIFTS FROM UNCLE SAM," ON PAGE 91:
5. Clients with estates of less than _____ will probably want to opt for the new rules with a step-up in basis.
a. $8 million
b. $10 million
c. $12 million
d. $14 million
FROM "UNDER THE RADAR," ON PAGE 98:
6.The Center for Retirement Research estimates that interest-free loans could cost the Social Security system as much as:
a. $5 billion
b. $11 billion
c. $18 billion
d. $22 billion
FROM "GOING FOR THE GOLD," ON PAGE 101
7 .THE PRICE OF GOLD PEAKED AT $1,432 AN OUNCE ON DEC. 7, 2010.
FROM "GETTING TECHNICAL," ON PAGE 107:
8.What technical analysis indicator measures market sentiment, or the broad attitude of investors?
b. Trend lines
c. Moving averages
d. None of the above
FROM "NEST EGG SURVIVAL," ON PAGE 111:
9. Which variables are most important when determining a retirement portfolio's ability to survive?
a. initial withdrawal rate
b. cost of living adjustments
c. both "a" and "b"
d. none of the above
FROM "ENCOURAGING SIGNS," ON PAGE 115:
10. Net flows for variable annuities are at the highest level since the second quarter of 2008, when ____ flowed into the sector.
a. $6.5 billion
b. $7.5 billion
c. $8.5 billion
d. $9.5 billion