The Dow Jones Industrial Average shed 33.07 points to close at 12,675.75 Tuesday while the S&P 500 trimmed 1.37 points to finish at 1,314.63.
Tech stocks managed to eke out slight gains, pushing the Nasdaq up 2.47 points to 2,786.64.
Europe again cast a pall on the markets after eurozone officials nixed a final offer from Greece’s private bond holders. Also, S&P said it will most likely cut the country’s sovereign debt rating to “selective default” when it finally completes its debt restructuring.
After last week’s strong rally, investors have cooled their heels a bit in light of the fact that of the 20% of S&P 500 companies that have reported earnings, only 58% have topped analysts’ estimates.
Here are some more details from Tuesday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- Down two consecutive trading days.
- Biggest points and percentage drop since January 13, 2012.
- An intraday high of 12708.52 occurred at 09:30:02 today.
- An intraday low of 12613.54 occurred at 09:44:11 today.
- Today’s session had a trading range of 94.98 points, it’s the fourth consecutive day of less than 100 points trading range – the last time the DJIA had a streak like this was during the five-day period that ended April 6, 2011.
- Nine of the 30 stocks rose, 17 fell, four were unchanged.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: IBM (14.76), UTX (6.96), WMT (3.63), MMM (2.42), INTC (1.44).
- Today's bottom five laggards: TRV (-17.33), MCD (-16.65), KO (-4.77), VZ (-4.62), PG (-3.78).
- Down 1488.78 points, or 10.51% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 5.83% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 93.61% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 1.05% from its 52-week closing high of 12810.54 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 18.96% from its 52-week closing low of 10655.30 n October 3, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 3.75%.
- Year-to-date: up 3.75%.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, 13662.03 (prelim)*, up 1.51 points, or 0.01%, or approximately $7.1 billion in market capitalization.
- Up six consecutive trading days and 10 of the last 11 sessions.
- The six-day win streak is its longest since the seven-day period ended November 5, 2010.
- Highest close since July 26, 2011.
- Down 2083.36 points, or 13.23% (approximately $3.3 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 100.91% (approximately $7.9 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 1.65% over the past 52 weeks.
- Down 4.52% from its 52-week closing high of 14308.37 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 20.91% from its 52-week closing low of 11299.07 on October 3, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 4.94%.
- Year-to-date: up 4.94%, or approximately $766 billion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.