The Dow Jones Industrial Average rallied back from a triple-digit deficit in late trading Monday but still closed off 6.74 points to finish at 12,653.72. Nagging Eurozone worries and disappointing consumer spending figures for December were largely to blame.
The Nasdaq shed 4.61 points to close at 2,811.94 while the S&P 500 trimmed 3.32 points to end at 1,313.01.
The Commerce Department reported that consumer spending in December was unchanged, while overall spending was the weakest since June as households increased their personal savings. Economists polled by Reuters expected spending to improve 0.1% last month.
Here are some more details from Monday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- Down three consecutive trading days and five of the last six sessions.
- Lowest close since January 19, 2012.
- An intraday high of 12659.32 occurred at the open today
- An intraday low of 12529.41 occurred t 10:13:17 today, representing a decrease of 131.05 points, or 1.04%.
- Eleven of the 30 component stocks rose, 17 fell, two were unchanged.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: IBM (15.44), WMT (4.47), VZ (3.03), MSFT (2.88), MRK (2.80).
- Today's bottom five laggards: PG (-8.25), CAT (-6.58), AXP (-5.52), CVX (-4.16), BA (-2.95).
- Down 1510.81 points, or 10.67% from its record close high of 14164.53 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 6.41% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 93.27% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 1.22% from its 52-week closing high of 12810.54 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 18.76% from its 52-week closing low of 10655.30 on October 3, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 3.57%.
- Year-to-date: up 3.57%.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, 13668.98 (prelim)*, down 43.17 points, or 0.31%, or approximately $51.7 billion in market capitalization.
- Down three consecutive trading days.
- Down 2076.41 points, or 13.19% (approximately $3.3 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 101.01% (approximately $7.9 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 1.94% over the past 52 weeks.
- Down 4.47% from its 52-week closing high of 14308.37 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 20.97% from its 52-week closing low of 11299.07 on October 3, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 4.99%.
- Year-to-date: up 4.99%, or approximately $772 billion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.