Stilwell Financial announced today that it will give more than 6% of the shares in Janus, its subsidiary, to key employees. Stilwell currently owns 98% of Janus and Janus employees own the remaining 2%.

Stilwell will give two equity grants to roughly 180 management employees at Janus, with most of it going to the firm’s 65-member investment team, Stilwell said. The first will be a one-time grant of 5% and the second will be a yearly grant through Janus’ long-term incentive program. The two grants will have an estimated combined value of between $300 and $350 million, Stilwell said.

"We believe that Stilwell’s shareholders benefit from programs that encourage superior investment performance and long-term stability at Janus," Landon Rowland, Stilwell’s CEO, said in a statement. "These equity awards are part of a compensation plan at Janus that provides tax-efficient incentives for key management employees – that is, those individuals responsible for Janus’ growth and success."

Stilwell is also converting Janus to a limited liability company so that employee shareholders will avoid a double tax due to corporate dividends. Both the conversion and the initial grants are expected to occur within the next 60 days, Stilwell said.

Subscribe Now

Access to premium content including in-depth coverage of mutual funds, hedge funds, 401(K)s, 529 plans, and more.

3-Week Free Trial

Insight and analysis into the management, marketing, operations and technology of the asset management industry.