Besides a handful of sponsors and wait staff, I was the only male in a room of 206 female advisors that attended the Women Advisors Forum in Boston on Oct. 25. Of the day’s presentations, exercises and networking, here are ten insights that sum up the event:
1. Communication is key. Success in the theater is about communication, similar to what advisors do on a daily basis, said Lynn Torgrove and Patricia-Maria Weinmann, co-founders of Gabriel Communications. Life is a performance. Bringing in new business can be dependent on how one presents herself. Humans make assumptions on not only what people say, but how they say it. Prospects often determine if they want to work with someone based on how advisors communicate. Only 7% of the impact of what is said is based on the script. It’s the other 93% that most often makes the connection. Successful advisors must consider all four areas of communication: body, face, voice, and text delivery.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access