For the third-quarter mark (year-to-date), the Dow Jones Industrial Average is now down 5.74%. In its 113-year history, excluding the current year and 1914 due to a change in the number of components that year, the DJIA has fallen 44 times at the third-quarter mark. Of those 44 years, it ended the full year at a loss 35 times, or 80% of the time, and only improved from the third-quarter mark in 16 of the 35 instances, or 46% of the time. Overall, the full year’s performance has mirrored the direction of the third-quarter mark 100 times, or roughly 88% of the time.
- DJIA, 10913.38
- Down 1500.96 points, or 12.09%, in third quarter.
- First down quarter since the second quarter 2010.
- Largest quarterly points drop since the fourth quarter of 2008.
- Largest quarterly percent drop since the first quarter 2009.
- Worst third quarter since 2002 (points and percent).
- Down 700.15 points, or 6.03% in September
- Down five consecutive months.
- Longest monthly losing streak since the six-month period ended on February 27, 2009.
- Biggest monthly points and percent drop since May 2010.
- This week: DJIA, up 141.90 points, or 1.32%.
- Up two of the last three weeks.
- Today: DJIA, down 240.60 points, or 2.16%.
- Down in two of the last three sessions.
- An intraday high of 11152.39 occurred at the open today.
- An intraday low of 10909.52 occurred at 15:59:58 today, representing a decrease of 244.46 points, or 2.19%.
- One of the 30 component stocks rose, 29 fell.
- Today's best performing stocks in the index: MRK (0.38), WMT (-0.23), JNJ (-1.44), BAC (-1.74), PFE (-2.27).
- Today's worst performing stocks in the index: IBM (-31.33), MMM (-20.74), UTX (-15.59), CVX (-14.15), BA (-14.08).
- Down 3251.15 points, or 22.95% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 0.77% from 52 weeks ago.
- Down 14.81% from its 2011 closing high of 12810.54 on April 29.
- Up 1.80% from its 2011 closing low of 10719.94 on August 10.
- Year-to-date: down 5.74%.
Twenty-seven of the 30 companies in the DJIA fell this quarter and there were only three gainers.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index (FORMERLY KNOWN AS DOW JONES WILSHIRE 5000)
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, 11676.50 (prelim)*
- Down 2166.95 points, or 15.65%, in third quarter.
- Down two consecutive quarters.
- Worst quarter performance (points and percent) since the fourth quarter 2008.
- Largest third quarter points drop in its history.
- Largest third quarter percentage drop since 2002.
- Down 1001.77 points, or 7.90%, in September
- Down five consecutive months.
- Longest monthly losing streak since the five month period ended on March 2008.
- This week: Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, down 82.54 points, or 0.70%.
- Down two consecutive weeks and eight of the last 10.
- Today: Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, down 304.43 points, or 2.54%, or approximately $357 billion in market capitalization.
- Up two consecutive trading days.
- Down 4068.89 points, or 25.84% (approximately $5.5 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 71.71% (approximately $5.7 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 hit on March 9, 2009.
- Down 1.59% over the past 52 weeks.
- Down 18.39% from its 2011 closing high of 14308.37 on April 29.
- Up 0.83% from its 2011 closing low of 11580.34 on August 8.
- Year-to-date: down 11.08%, or approximately $1.8 trillion in market cap.
*The index values for the Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index are in price return and float-adjusted. Full market capitalization will continue to be used in this factoid.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes