The Dow Jones Industrial Average trimmed off 1.74 points to close at 12,982.95 Friday while the Nasdaq and S&P 500 added 6.77 points and 2.28 points, respectively.
The Dow briefly eclipsed the 13,000-point threshold a couple times this week before eventually falling short despite generally positive economic news.
Investors on Friday reacted to news that the Thomson Reuters-University of Michigan consumer sentiment index jumped to 75.3 in February, its highest level in almost a year and well above the 73 score most economists had forecast.
However, new home sales fell 0.9% in January to a seasonally adjusted 321,000-unit annual rate, according to the Commerce Department. Economists had expected sales at a 315,000-unit rate.
Here are some more details from Friday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- DJIA, this week: up 33.08 points, or 0.26%
- Up two consecutive weeks and three of the last four.
- Up 181.72 points, or 1.42%, over the two-week period.
- DJIA, today: down 1.74 points, or 0.01%.
- Down two of the past three trading days.
- An intraday high of 13013.82 occurred at 10:08:42 today, representing an increase of 29.13 points, or 0.22%.
- Today's intraday high of 13013.82 is the highest since 05/20/2008.
- An intraday low of 12950.59 occurred at 14:37:01 today, representing a decrease of 34.10 points, or 0.26%.
- Fourteen of the 30 component stocks rose, 16 fell.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: CVX (5.52), AXP (5.00), UTX (3.63), XOM (2.42), MMM (2.27).
- Today's bottom five laggards: MCD (-3.71), DD (-3.33), HPQ (-3.10), TRV (-2.72), MRK (-2.35).
- Down 8.34% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 98.30% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 7.03% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 5.04% from its 2012 closing low of 12359.92 on January 06, 2012.
- Down 0.01% from its 52-week high of 12984.69 on February 23, 2012.
- Up 21.84% from its 52-week low of 10655.30 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 2.77%.
- Year-to-date: up 6.26%.
- DJIA crossed zero 28 times during today's trading session.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, this week: up 36.51 points, or 0.26%
- Up two consecutive weeks.
- Up 244.23 points, or 1.74%, over the two-week period.
- Up seven of the past eight weeks.
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, today: up 18.39 points, or 0.13%, or approximately $22.5 billion in market capitalization.
- Up two consecutive trading days.
- Up 97.19 points, or 0.69%, over the two-day trading period.
- Largest two-day points and percentage gain since February 17, 2012.
- Up four of the past six trading days.
- A new 2012 closing high.
- Highest closing value since May 02, 2011.
- Down 9.53% (approximately $2.6 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 109.48% (approximately $8.6 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 3.22% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 7.86% from its 2012 closing low of 13206.64 on January 04, 2012.
- Down 0.44% from its 52-week high of 14308.37 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 26.07% from its 52-week low of 11299.07 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 4.26%, or approximately $678 billion in market cap.
- Year-to-date: up 9.41%, or approximately $1.4 trillion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.