Stocks had a strong showing this week and gained 541.37 points, or 4.88%. Blue chips gained 166.36 points on Friday.
- Up 541.37 points this week, or 4.88%, to 11644.49
- Biggest weekly points and percent gain since the week period ended on July 1, 2011.
- Up three consecutive trading weeks.
- Longest weekly winning streak since the three-week period ended on April 8, 2011.
- Up 8.10%, over the three-week period.
- Highest close since August 3, 2011.
- Today: DJIA, up 166.36 points, or 1.45%.
- Up two of the last three trading days.
- An intraday high of 11646.83 occurred at 16:00:01 today, representing an increase of 168.70 points, or 1.47%.
- An intraday low of 11478.66 occurred at the open today.
- Twenty-eight of the 30 component stocks rose, two fell.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their points contribution: IBM (28.08), CVX (20.28), CAT (20.06), XOM (13.17), DD (9.99).
- Today's bottom five laggards: AXP (-1.74), BAC (-0.23), T (0.53), MSFT (0.68), INTC (0.83).
- Down 2520.04 points, or 17.79% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 5.26% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 77.86% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 9.10% from its 2011 closing high of 12810.54 on April 29.
- Up 9.28% from its 2011 closing low of 10655.30 on October 3.
- Month-to-date: up 6.70%.
- Year-to-date: up 0.58%.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index (FORMERLY KNOWN AS DOW JONES WILSHIRE 5000)
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, 12671.24 (prelim)*, up 750.57 points this week, or 6.30%.
- Up two consecutive trading weeks.
- Up 8.52%, over the two-week period.
- Biggest weekly points gain since the week period ended on November 28, 2008.
- Biggest weekly percentage gain since the week period ended on July 17, 2009.
- Highest close since August 31, 2011.
- Today: Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, up 220.27 points, or 1.77%, or approximately $259 billion in market capitalization.
- Up seven of the last nine trading days.
- Down 3074.15 points, or 19.52% (approximately $4.3 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 86.34% (approximately $6.9 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 4.00% over the past 52 weeks.
- Down 11.44% from its 2011 closing high of 14308.37 on April 29.
- Up 12.14% from its 2011 closing low of 11299.07 on October 3.
- Month-to-date: up 8.52%.
- Year-to-date: down 3.50%, or approximately $611 billion. in market cap.
*The index values for the Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index are in price return and float-adjusted. Full market capitalization will continue to be used in this factoid.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access