The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 178.08 to 11836.04, reversing two days of declines. The market reacted to comments my by Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke at a press conference on the Fed’s monetary policy.
- Up 178.08 points, or 1.53%, to 11836.04
- Today’s gain snaps a two-day losing streak.
- An intraday high of 11876.83 occurred at 11:07:13 today, representing an increase of 218.87 points, or 1.88%.
- An intraday low of 11658.49 occurred at the open today.
- Twenty-nine of the 30 component stocks rose, one fell.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: IBM (19.45), CVX (18.62), CAT (17.48), UTX (13.02), MMM (11.58).
- Today's bottom five performing stocks in the index: INTC (-0.30), MSFT (0.23), KFT (0.61), MRK (0.91), PG (1.14).
- Down 2328.49 points, or 16.44% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 5.54% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 80.78% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 7.61% from its 2011 closing high of 12810.54 on April 29.
- Up 11.08% from its 2011 closing low of 10655.30 on October 3.
- Year-to-date: up 2.23%.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index (FORMERLY KNOWN AS DOW JONES WILSHIRE 5000)
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, 12848.46 (prelim)*, up 217.20 points, or 1.72%, or approximately $254 billion in market capitalization.
- Today’s gain snaps a three-day losing streak.
- Down 2896.93 points, or 18.40% (approximately $4.1 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 88.95% (approximately $7.1 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 3.43% over the past 52 weeks.
- Down 10.20% from its 2011 closing high of 14308.37 on April 29.
- Up 13.71% from its 2011 closing low of 11299.07 on October 3.
- Year-to-date: down 2.16%, or approximately $407 billion in market cap.
*The index values for the Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index are in price return and float-adjusted. Full market capitalization will continue to be used in this factoid.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access