The Dow Jones Industrial Average plunged 389.24 points to 11780.94 as investors grew concerned about the Euro zone. Stocks had the largest points and percentage drop in seven weeks.
- Down 389.24 points, or 3.20%, to 11780.94
- Today’s drop snaps a two-day up streak.
- Largest points and percentage drop in seven weeks, since September 22, 2011.
- Sixth largest points and percentage drop this year.
- Lowest close since November 1, 2011.
- An intraday high of 12166.40 occurred at the open today.
- An intraday low of 11736.93 occurred at 14:25:45 today, representing a decrease of 433.25 points, or 3.56%.
- All 30 component stocks closed down today and have done so 14 times previously in 2011.
- Today's five best performing stocks in the index: BAC (-2.80), T (-4.16), AA (-4.39), GE (-4.77), VZ (-4.77).
- Today's five worst performing stocks in the index: IBM (-37.92), CVX (-34.66), CAT (-32.17), MMM (-21.42), JPM (-18.77).
- Down 2383.59 points, or 16.83% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 3.73% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 79.94% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 8.04% from its 2011 closing high of 12810.54 on April 29.
- Up 10.56% from its 2011 closing low of 10655.30 on October 3.
- Month-to-date: down 1.46%.
- Year-to-date: up 1.76%.
- The market capitalization of the DJIA fell $117.4B today.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index (FORMERLY KNOWN AS DOW JONES WILSHIRE 5000)
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, 12739.76 (prelim)*, down 503.05 points, or 3.80%, or approximately $592 billion in market capitalization.
- First drop in three trading days.
- Biggest points and percentage drop since August 18, 2011.
- Down 3005.63 points, or 19.09% (approximately $4.2 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 87.35% (approximately $6.9 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 0.65% over the past 52 weeks.
- Down 10.96% from its 2011 closing high of 14308.37 on April 29.
- Up 12.75% from its 2011 closing low of 11299.07 on October 3.
- Month-to-date: down 2.04%.
- Year-to-date: down 2.98%, or approximately $542 billion in market cap.
*The index values for the Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index are in price return and float-adjusted. Full market capitalization will continue to be used in this factoid.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access