It was a rollercoaster session for stocks Thursday, but the Dow Jones Industrial Average ended 37.16 points higher at 11541.78. The Dow Industrials have changed direction in each of the last 10 sessions.
- Up 37.16 points, or 0.32% to 11541.78
- The DJIA has changed direction in each of the last 10 sessions.
- Longest streak of swings since the 11-day session ended on May 19, 2009.
- An intraday high of 11581.25 occurred at 14:54:17 today, representing an increase of 76.63 points, or 0.67%.
- An intraday low of 11391.14 occurred at 12:20:08 today, representing a decrease of 113.48 points, or 0.99%.
- Twenty-one of the 30 component stocks rose, nine fell.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: CAT (8.78), CVX (8.70), UTX (7.49), MM (7.42), JPM (6.66).
- Today's bottom five worst performing stocks in the index: INTC (-4.77), BA (-4.69), MCD (-4.62), HPQ (-1.82), IBM (-1.06).
- Down 2622.75 points, or 18.52% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 3.55% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 76.29% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 9.90% from its 2011 closing high of 12810.54 on April 29.
- Up 8.32% from its 2011 closing low of 10655.30 on October 3.
- Month-to-date: up 5.76%.
- Year-to-date: down 0.31%.
- DJIA crossed zero 45 times during today's trading session.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index (FORMERLY KNOWN AS DOW JONES WILSHIRE 5000)
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, 12552.42 (prelim)*, up 54.10 points, or 0.43%, or approximately $61.5 billion in market capitalization.
- Up two of the last three trading days.
- Down 3192.97 points, or 20.28% (approximately $4.5 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 84.59% (approximately $6.7 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 2.83% over the past 52 weeks.
- Down 12.27% from its 2011 closing high of 14308.37 on April 29.
- Up 11.09% from its 2011 closing low of 11299.07 on October 3.
- Month-to-date: up 7.50%.
- Year-to-date: down 4.41%, or approximately $762 billion in market cap.
*The index values for the Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index are in price return and float-adjusted. Full market capitalization will continue to be used in this factoid.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access