The Dow Jones Industrial Average surged 1.3%, or 143.08 points to 11,153.98 on Thursday, with most of the gain coming in the last 30 minutes of a volatile trading session. The gain occurred a day after the DJIA fell 180 points.
- Up 143.08 points, or 1.30%, to 11153.98
- Up four of the last five trading days.
- An intraday high of 11271.14 occurred at 09:51:07 today, representing an increase of 260.24 points, or 2.36%.
- An intraday low of 10965.45 occurred at 15:05:11 today, representing a decrease of 45.45 points, or 0.41%.
- The DJIA surged 129.15 points, or 1.17%, in the final 30 minutes of trading.
- Twenty-eight of the 30 component stocks rose, two fell.
- Today's top contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: CVX (20.06), XOM (13.70), IBM (12.26), TRV (11.50), KO (7.49).
- Today's worst performing stocks in the index: MSFT (-0.83), INTC (-0.79), CSCO (0.08), AA (0.68), DIS (1.29).
- Down 3010.55 points, or 21.25% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 3.39% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 70.37% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 12.93% from its 2011 closing high of 12810.54 on April 29.
- Up 4.05% from its 2011 closing low of 10719.94 on August 10.
- Month-to-date: down 3.96%.
- Year-to-date: down 3.66%.
- Traded in positive territory for 90 percent of the day.
- DJIA crossed zero 26 times during today's trading session.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index (FORMERLY KNOWN AS DOW JONES WILSHIRE 5000)
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, 11980.93 (prelim)*, up 96.96 points, or 0.82%, or approximately $110 billion in market capitalization.
- Up four of the last five trading sessions.
- Down 3764.46 points, or 23.91% (approximately $5.1 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 76.19% (approximately $6.1 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 1.41% over the past 52 weeks.
- Down 16.27% from its 2011 closing high of 14308.37 on April 29.
- Up 3.46% from its 2011 closing low of 11580.34 on August 8.
- Month-to-date: down 5.50%.
- Year-to-date: down 8.76%, or approximately $1.4 billion in market cap.
*The index values for the Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index are in price return and float-adjusted. Full market capitalization will continue to be used in this factoid.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access