The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 40.72 points, but recovered some of the day’s losses. The Dow Jones Total Stock Market Index shed 28.61 points.
- Down 40.72 points, or 0.35% to 11478.13
- Down in two of the last three trading days.
- Biggest points and percent drop since October 3, 2011.
- An intraday high of 11518.09 occurred at the open today.
- An intraday low of 11377.82 occurred at 11:01:46 today, representing a decrease of 141.03 points, or 1.22%.
- Eleven of the 30 component stocks rose, 19 fell.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their points contribution: MCD (7.19), IBM (5.30), VZ (2.65), INTC (2.04), KFT (1.89).
- Today's bottom five laggards: JPM (-12.11), TRV (-7.49), BA (-5.98), XOM (-5.98), AXP (-5.30).
- Down 2686.40 points, or 18.97% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 3.46% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 75.32% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 10.40% from its 2011 closing high of 12810.54 on April 29.
- Up 7.72% from its 2011 closing low of 10655.30 on October 3.
- Month-to-date: up 5.17%.
- Year-to-date: down 0.86%.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index (FORMERLY KNOWN AS DOW JONES WILSHIRE 5000)
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, 12450.97 (prelim)*, down 28.61 points, or 0.23%, or approximately $32.9 billion in market capitalization.
- First drop in four trading days.
- Down 3294.42 points, or 20.92% (approximately $4.6 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 83.10% (approximately $6.6 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 2.37% over the past 52 weeks.
- Down 12.98% from its 2011 closing high of 14308.37 on April 29.
- Up 10.19% from its 2011 closing low of 11299.07 on October 3.
- Month-to-date: up 6.63%.
- Year-to-date: down 5.18%, or approximately $870 billion in market cap.
*The index values for the Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index are in price return and float-adjusted. Full market capitalization will continue to be used in this factoid.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access