The Dow Jones Industrial Average shed 25.35 points Monday to finish at 12,741.82 while the Nasdaq and S&P 500 added 22.53 points and 1.94 points, respectively.
In economic news, the National Association of Home Builders said homebuilder sentiment improved to a 29 score in June, its highest level of optimism in five years. But the index still checked in well below the coveted 50 rating (last recorded in April 2006), a sign that most builders still have an unfavorable overall view of the housing market.
Here are some more details from Monday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- First loss in three days.
- An intraday high of 12781.93 occurred at 10:52:02 today, representing an increase of 14.76 points, or 0.12%.
- An intraday low of 12696.18 occurred at 09:33:26 today, representing a decrease of 70.99 points, or 0.56%.
- Eleven of the 30 component stocks rose, 19 fell.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: UTX (3.86), HD (3.41), WMT (2.80), KFT (2.57), JNJ (2.19).
- Today's bottom five laggards: CVX (-6.58), IBM (-6.13), HPQ (-4.47), PG (-4.47), AXP (-3.25).
- Down 10.04% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 94.62% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 5.48% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 5.29% from its 2012 closing low of 12101.46 on June 04, 2012.
- Down 4.05% (rounded) from its 52-week high of 13279.32 on May 01, 2012.
- Up 19.58% from its 52-week low of 10655.30 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 2.81%.
- Year-to-date: up 4.29%.
- DJIA crossed zero 18 times during today's trading session.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
13896.81, up 30.04 points, or 0.22%, or approximately $48.8 billion in market capitalization
- Up three consecutive trading days and four of the last five sessions.
- Up 316.66 points, or 2.33%, over the three-day period.
- Largest three-day points and percentage gain since June 08, 2012.
- Highest closing value since May 14, 2012.
- Down 11.74% (approximately $3.1 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 104.36% (approximately $8.1 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 3.99% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 5.23% from its 2012 closing low of 13206.64 on January 04, 2012.
- Down 5.72% from its 52-week high of 14740.15 on April 02, 2012.
- Up 22.99% from its 52-week low of 11299.07 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 2.29%, or approximately $364 billion in market cap.
- Year-to-date: up 6.74%, or approximately $973 billion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access