The Dow Jones Industrial Average moved up 19.61 points to 13,145.82 Thursday, ending a two-day slump thanks to a late-afternoon rally.
The Nasdaq shed 9.60 points to end at 3,095.36 and the S&P 500 trimmed 2.26 points to finish at 1.403.28.
In economic news, the Commerce Department reported that the U.S. economy increased at an annual rate of 3% this year, the fastest-pace in almost two years.
Meanwhile, weekly jobless claims declined 5,000 to a seasonally adjusted 359,000, another four-year low, but most economists were expecting that figure to check in even lower at around 350,000 claims.
Here are some more details from Thursday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- First gain in three trading days.
- An intraday high of 13151.57 occurred at 15:56:15 today, representing an increase of 25.36 points, or 0.19%.
- An intraday low of 13032.67 occurred at 10:37:28 today, representing a decrease of 93.54 points, or 0.71%.
- Eleven of the 30 component stocks rose, 18 fell, one was unchanged.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: CAT (13.32), KO (8.70), IBM (7.42), CVX (7.27), UTX (6.05).
- Today's bottom five laggards: AXP (-8.85), JPM (-4.54), DIS (-3.78), WMT (-2.80), MRK (-2.27).
- Down 7.19% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 100.79% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 6.71% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 6.36% from its 2012 closing low of 12359.92 on January 06, 2012.
- Off 0.81% from its 52 week high of 13252.76 on March 15, 2012.
- Up 23.37% from its 52 week low of 10655.30 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 1.50%.
- Year-to-date: up 7.60%.
- DJIA crossed zero 13 times during today's trading session.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, 14583.05*, down 22.60 points, or 0.15%, or approximately $26.9 billion in market capitalization.
- Down three consecutive trading days and six of the last eight.
- Down 148.60 points, or 1.01%, over the three-day period.
- Largest three-day points and percentage decline since March 22, 2012.
- Down 7.38% (approximately $2.2 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 114.45% (approximately $8.9 trillion in market cap) from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 4.85% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 10.42% from its 2012 closing low of 13206.64 on January 04, 2012.
- Down 1.01% from its 52-week high of 14731.65 on March 26, 2012.
- Up 29.06% from its 52-week low of 11299.07 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 2.61% or approximately $386 billion in market cap.
- Year-to-date: up 12.01%, or approximately $1.8 trillion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access