The National Association for the Self-Employed advised small business owners who have put off doing their tax returns not to panic.

"As long as you have all of your paperwork gathered in one place before starting and take the time to check your math, you'll likely have no problem getting your return filed by April 18th," said NASE national tax advisor Keith Hall in a statement. "If you don't think you'll make it in time, you can get an automatic six-month extension by filing Form 4868 and pay the tax you think is owed by April 18th."

Register or login for access to this item and much more

All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.

Community members receive:
  • All recent and archived articles
  • Conference offers and updates
  • A full menu of enewsletter options
  • Web seminars, white papers, ebooks

Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access