The Dow Jones Industrial Average ended the day higher, up 162.42 points, or 1.39%, reverses most of the previous day’s losses. The Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index gained 144.61 points, or 1.14%.
- Up 162.42 points, or 1.39% to 11869.04
- Up in four of the last five trading days.
- An intraday high of 11891.21 occurred at 15:37:27 today, representing an increase of 184.59 points, or 1.58%.
- An intraday low of 11694.36 occurred at 10:56:28 today, representing a decrease of 12.26 points or 0.10%.
- Twenty-seven of the 30 component stocks rose, two fell, one was unchanged.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: BA (21.49), CVX (17.18), CAT (12.71), XOM (12.34), IBM (12.19).
- Today's bottom five laggards: MSFT (-1.74), MMM (-0.15), CSCO (0.00), MCD (0.08), INTC (0.53).
- Down 2295.49 points, or 16.21% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 6.68% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 81.29% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 7.35% from its 2011 closing high of 12810.54 on April 29.
- Up 11.39% from its 2011 closing low of 10655.30 on October 3.
- Month-to-date: up 8.76%.
- Year-to-date: up 2.52%.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index (FORMERLY KNOWN AS DOW JONES WILSHIRE 5000)
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, 12872.90 (prelim)*, up 144.61 points, or 1.14%, or approximately $168 billion in market capitalization.
- Up four of the last five trading days.
- Down 2872.49 points, or 18.24% (approximately $4.1 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 89.31% (approximately $7.1 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 5.07% over the past 52 weeks.
- Down 10.03% from its 2011 closing high of 14308.37 on April 29.
- Up 13.93% from its 2011 closing low of 11299.07 on October 3.
- Month-to-date: up 10.25%.
- Year-to-date: down 1.97%, or approximately $379 billion in market cap.
*The index values for the Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index are in price return and float-adjusted. Full market capitalization will continue to be used in this factoid.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access