The Dow Jones Industrial Average moved up 11.54 points Wednesday to finish at 13,047.48 while the Nasdaq and S&P 500 fell 5.79 points and 1.50 points, respectively.
Facebook, the once-promising social media stock that generated so much buzz ahead of and during its IPO before plummeting in the months that followed, gained 85 cents a share, or 5%, to close at $18.58.
Here are some more details from Wednesday's trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- Up two of the past three trading days.
- An intraday high of 13095.91 occurred at 10:30:18 today, representing an increase of 59.97 points, or 0.46%.
- An intraday low of 13018.74 occurred at 09:45:26 today, representing a decrease of 17.20 points, or 0.13%.
- Nineteen of the 30 component stocks rose, 10 fell, one was unchanged.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: DIS (8.75), BA (8.13), IBM (3.87), HPQ (2.17), KO (1.78).
- Today's bottom five laggards: AXP (-11.00), CVX (-3.48), UTX (-2.48), HD (-1.94), KFT (-1.32).
- Down 7.89% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 99.29% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 14.30% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 7.82% from its 2012 closing low of 12101.46 on June 04, 2012.
- Down 1.75% (rounded) from its 52-week high of 13279.32 on May 01, 2012.
- Up 22.45% from its 52-week low of 10655.30 on October 03, 2011.
- Year-to-date: up 6.79%.
- DJIA crossed zero 30 times during today's trading session.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
Down 14.06 points, or 0.10%, or approximately $12.4 billion in market capitalization
- First loss in three trading days.
- Down 7.66% (approximately $2.4 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 113.80% (approximately $8.8 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 16.65% (rounded) from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 10.09% from its 2012 closing low of 13206.64 on January 04, 2012.
- Down 1.37% from its 52-week high of 14740.15 on April 02, 2012.
- Up 28.67% from its 52-week low of 11299.07 on October 03, 2011.
- Year-to-date: up 11.67%, or approximately $1.7 trillion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access