The Dow Jones Industrial Average shed 22.33 points to close at 12,734,63 Thursday following a pair of somewhat discouraging economic reports on jobs and new homes.
Tech stocks finally cooled off a bit as the Nasdaq lopped off 13 points to end at 2,805.28 while the S&P 500 shed 7.62 points to finish at 1,318.43.
The Labor Department reported that weekly jobless claims jumped 21,000 last week to a seasonally adjusted total of 377,000 – a tad higher than the 370,000 most economists expected but still under the key 400,000-claim mark.
More discouraging, new home sales posted a surprising decline of 2.2% last month – the first drop in four months – to a seasonally adjusted 307,000.
Durable goods orders increased 3% in December, the second straight monthly gain, according to the Commerce Department.
Here are some more details from Thursday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- Down three of the last four trading days.
- An intraday high of 12841.95 occurred at 09:58:59 today, representing an increase of 84.99 points, or 0.67%.
- Today’s intraday high was it highest since May 2, 2011.
- An intraday low of 12695.16 occurred at 15:29:40 today, representing a decrease of 61.80 points, or 0.48%.
- Six of the 30 component stocks rose, 23 fell, one was unchanged.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: CAT (17.10), MMM (8.33), JNJ (3.63), DD (2.65), KFT (1.74).
- Today's bottom five laggards: CVX (-8.63), T (-5.75), IBM (-5.68), BA (-3.86), WMT (-3.78).
- Down 1429.90 points, or 10.09% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 6.21% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 94.51% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 0.59% from its 52-week closing high of 12810.54 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 19.51% from its 52-week closing low of 10655.30 on October 3, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 4.23%.
- Year-to-date: up 4.23%.
- DJIA crossed zero 13 times during today's trading session.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, 13712.90 (prelim)*, down 76.93 points, or 0.56%, or approximately $88.8 billion in market capitalization.
- Today’s drop snaps a seven day winning streak.
- Biggest points and percentage drop since December 28, 2011.
- Down 2032.49 points, or 12.91% (approximately $3.2 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 101.66% (approximately $8.0 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 1.15% over the past 52 weeks.
- Down 4.16% from its 52-week closing high of 14308.37 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 21.36% from its 52-week closing low of 11299.07 on October 3, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 5.33%.
- Year-to-date: up 5.33%, or approximately $822 billion. in market cap
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access