The Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 64.94 points to close at 13,199.55 Tuesday as investors digested the release of minutes from the Fed’s latest policy-setting meeting in March.
While members said they remain optimistic about a broad recovery and a significant increase in new jobs, there was little to indicate another round of quantitative easing is on the horizon—a trump card some investors were counting on to spur faster economic growth.
The Nasdaq lost 6.13 points to end at 3,113.57 while the S&P 500 shed 5.66 points to finish at 1,413.38.
Investors also took note of the latest Commerce Department report that factory orders rose only 1.3% in February, below the 1.5% improvement most economists had predicted.
Here are some more details from Tuesday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- Today’s drop snaps a three-day winning streak.
- An intraday high of 13265.36 occurred at 10:10:01 today, representing an increase of 0.87 points, or 0.01%.
- An intraday low of 13131.21 occurred at 14:40:06 today, representing a decrease of 133.28 points, or 1.00%.
- Five of the 30 component stocks rose, 25 fell.
- Today's five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: MCD (7.87), AXP (4.39), MRK (1.59), IBM (0.23), HD (0.08).
- Today's bottom five laggards: XOM (-9.38), CVX (-8.78), CAT (-7.87), WMT (-5.37), DIS (-4.16).
- Down 6.81% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 101.61% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 6.50% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 6.79% from its 2012 closing low of 12359.92 on January 06, 2012.
- Down 0.49% from its 52-week high of 13264.49 on April 02, 2012.
- Up 23.88% from its 52-week low of 10655.30 on October 03, 2011.
- Year-to-date: up 8.04%.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market, 14686.31*, down 53.84 points, or 0.37%, or approximately 73.4 billion in market capitalization.
- Down four of the past six trading days.
- Down 6.73% (approximately $2.1 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 115.97% (approximately $9.1 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 4.92% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 11.20% from its 2012 closing low of 13206.64 on January 04, 2012.
- Down 0.37% from its 52-week high of 14740.15 on April 02, 2012.
- Up 29.98% from its 52-week low of 11299.07 on October 03, 2011.
- Year-to-date: up 12.80%, approximately $1.9 trillion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access