The tech-laden Nasdaq added 13.95 points Wednesday to finish at 3030.93 but the Dow Jones Industrial Average and S&P 500 lost 7.36 points and 1.60 points, respectively.
The Dow ended the day at 13,164.78.
Here are some more details from Wednesday's trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- Down two of the past three trading days.
- Lowest closing value since August 06, 2012.
- An intraday high of 13192.89 occurred at 10:05:11 today, representing an increase of 20.75 points, or 0.16%.
- An intraday low of 13138.23 occurred at 09:31:25 today, representing a decrease of 33.91 points, or 0.26%.
- Sixteen of the 30 component tocks rose, 14 fell.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: UTX (5.77), AXP (4.49), WMT (3.41), HD (2.25), MMM (1.86).
- Today's bottom five laggards: MRK (-2.71), MCD (-2.40), BA (-2.32), JNJ (-2.25), CAT (-2.01).
- Today's session had a high/low trading range of 54.66 points; its narrowest intraday swing since April 30, 2012.
- The Dow has had a trading range of less than 100 points in seven of the last eight sessions; the last time The Dow has had less than 100 points range in as many days was in February 2011.
- Down 7.06% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 101.08% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 15.38% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 8.79% from its 2012 closing low of 12101.46 on June 04, 2012.
- Down 0.86% from its 52-week high of 13279.32 on May 01, 2012.
- Up 23.55% from its 52-week low of 10655.30 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 1.20%.
- DJIA crossed zero 78 times during today's trading session.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
14512.14, up 31.65 points, or 0.22%, or approximately $41.1 billion in market capitalization.
- Up seven of the past nine trading days.
- Largest one-day points and percentage gain since 07, 2012.
- Highest closing value since May 02, 2012.
- Down 7.83% (approximately $2.4 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 113.41% (approximately $8.8 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 16.99% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 9.89% from its 2012 closing low of 13206.64 on January 04, 2012.
- Down 1.55% (rounded) from its 52-week high of 14740.15 on April 02, 2012.
- Up 28.44% from its 52-week low of 11299.07 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 2.00%, or approximately $315 billion in market cap.
- Year-to-date: up 11.47%, or approximately $1.6 trillion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access