Morningstar has announced its five nominees for the Morningstar Domestic Stock Fund Manager of the Year Award. The 2011 nominees are:
- Bob Goldfarb and David Poppe of the Sequoia Fund
- Bill Nygren of the Oakmark Select Fund
- Don and Stephen Yacktman of the Yacktman and Yacktman Focused funds
- Scott Satterwhite and James Kieffer of the Artisan Mid Cap Value, Artisan Small Cap Value and Artisan Value funds
- Pat English and Andy Ramer of the FMI Large Cap and FMI Common Stock funds
Morningstar will announce the winners in early January and is asking industry participants weigh in by voting on their choice at mornginstar.com.
Morningstar’s criteria is managers who have had a great year and earned strong long-term results for shareholders. They also have to be strong stewards who put fundholders first.
“It's been another challenging year for stock fund managers. The markets are just slightly in the red, so generating just about any kind of decent positive return takes some work,” said Russ Kinnel, director of mutual fund research at Morningstar. “Our five nominees for Domestic-Stock Manager of the Year have done an outstanding job not just this year but over the long haul to produce strong returns for shareholders.”