The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 74.17 points Friday to close at 12,660.46 while the Nasdaq managed to post a modest gain of 11.27 points to finish at 2,816.55.
The S&P 500 clipped 2.10 points to wrap up the week at 1,316.33.
While U.S. GDP expanded 2.8% in the fourth quarter, it was slightly below the 3% increase most analysts and economists had predicted.
Also, the University of Michigan’s consumer sentiment index jumped to its highest level in almost year, checking in with a score of 75 – up from December’s score of 69.9.
Here are some more details from Friday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- This week: down 60.02 points, or 0.47% to 12660.46
- This week’s drop snaps a three-week winning streak.
- Worst week since the week period ended December 30, 2011.
- Today: DJIA, down 74.17 points, or 0.58%.
- Biggest points and percentage drop this year, since December 28, 2011.
- Lowest close since January 19, 2012.
- Down two consecutive trading days and four of the last five sessions.
- An intraday high of 12733.95 occurred at the open today.
- An intraday low of 12630.72 occurred at 12:16:53 today, representing a decrease of 103.91 points, or 0.82%.
- Two of the 30 component stocks rose, 27 fell, one was unchanged.
- Today's best five performing stocks in the index: UTX (1.59), AA (0.53), INTC (0.00), BAC (-0.08), CAT (-0.23).
- Today's worst five performing stocks in the index: CVX (-19.90), XOM (-7.11), BA (-5.75), TRV (-4.92), KO (-4.31).
- Down 1504.07 points, or 10.62% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 7.08% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 93.38% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 1.17% from its 52-week closing high of 12810.54 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 18.82% from its 52-week closing low of 10655.30 on October 3, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 3.63%.
- Year-to-date: up 3.63%.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
- This week: Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, up 54.67 points, or 0.40% to 13712.16 (prelim)*
- Up four consecutive weeks and seven of the last nine.
- Up 14.35%, over the nine-week period.
- Today: Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, down 0.74 points, or 0.01%, or approximately $1.5 billion in market capitalization.
- Down two consecutive trading days.
- Down 2033.23 points, or 12.91% (approximately $3.2 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 101.65% (approximately $8.0 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 3.05% over the past 52 weeks.
- Down 4.17% from its 52-week closing high of 14308.37 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 21.36% from its 52-week closing low of 11299.07 on October 3, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 5.32%.
- Year-to-date: up 5.32%, or approximately $824 billion. in market cap
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access