The Dow Jones Industrial average moved up 46 points to close at 12,196.37 Wednesday while the S&P 500 added 2.54 points to finish at 1,261.01.
Meanwhile, the Nasdaq trimmed about one-third of a point to end at 2,649.21
Here are some of the details from Wednesday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- Up 46.24 points, or 0.38%, to 12196.37
- Up three consecutive trading days and six of the last eight.
- Up 1.47%, over the three-day trading period.
- This is the fifth consecutive trading session in which the DJIA closed with a change (up or down) of less than 100 points – the last time this occurred was in mid-July 2011.
- Highest close since October 28, 2011.
- An intraday high of 12257.67 occurred at 15:44:03 today, representing an increase of 107.54 points, or 0.89%.
- An intraday low of 12060.37 occurred at 09:43:29 today, representing a decrease of 89.76 points, or 0.74%.
- Twenty-three of the 30 component stocks rose, 7 fell.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: IBM (8.40), JNJ (7.27), TRV (7.27), JPM (5.83), AXP (4.54).
- Today's bottom five laggards: CAT (-8.10), BA (-2.04), KFT (-1.21), MSFT (-0.45), UTX (-0.45).
- Down 1968.16 points, or 13.89% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 7.24% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 86.29% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 4.79% from its 2011 closing high of 12810.54 on April 29.
- Up 14.46% from its 2011 closing low of 10655.30 on October 3.
- Month-to-date: up 1.25%.
- Year-to-date: up 5.35%.
- DJIA crossed zero 25 times during today's trading session.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, 13071.85 (prelim)*, up 17.28 points, or 0.13%, or approximately $17.2 billion in market capitalization.
- Up four consecutive trading days and seven of the last eight sessions.
- Highest close since November 11, 2011.
- Down 2673.54 points, or 16.98% (approximately $3.9 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 92.23% (approximately $7.3 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 2.02% over the past 52 weeks.
- Down 8.64% from its 2011 closing high of 14308.37 on April 29.
- Up 15.69% from its 2011 closing low of 11299.07 on October 3.
- Month-to-date: up 1.06%.
- Year-to-date: down 0.45%, or approximately $161 billion in market cap.
Data courtesy Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access