U.S. stocks maintained their recent momentum Thursday as the Dow Jones Industrial Average up 45 points to 12,623.98 following a better-than-expected jobs report.
The Nasdaq shot up another 18.62 points to 2,788.33 while the S&P 500 added 6.46 points to finish at 1,314.50.
On the economic front, the Labor Department said weekly jobless claims dropped 50,000 to a seasonally adjusted 352,000 last week, much better than the 385,000 that most economists had forecast.
Also, consumer prices in December were flat for a second straight month as gasoline prices fell and food rose moderately. Economists polled by Reuters had expected prices to gain a tenth of a percent.
Meanwhile, housing starts declined 4.1% to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 657,000 units in December, according to the Commerce Department, an indication that the housing market is still struggling to find a bottom.
Here are some more details from Thursday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- Up three consecutive trading days and six of the last eight sessions.
- Highest close since July 22, 2011.
- An intraday high of 12625.80 occurred at 15:59:56 today, representing an increase of 46.85 points, or 0.37%.
- An intraday low of 12563.58 occurred at 10:05:58 today, representing a decrease of 15.37 points, or 0.12%.
- Today’s trading range of 60.22 points, is its lowest since December 27, 2011.
- Twenty of the 30 component stocks rose, 10 fell.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: CAT (11.28), MMM (5.52), WMT (4.54), XOM (4.39), HD (4.01).
- Today's bottom five laggards: IBM (-4.16), UTX (-3.10), MCD (-2.27), KO (-1.06), PFE (-0.98).
- Down 1540.55 points, or 10.88% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 6.78% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 92.82% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 1.46% from its 52-week closing high of 12810.54 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 18.48% from its 52-week closing low of 10655.30 on October 3, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 3.33%.
- Year-to-date: up 3.33%.
- DJIA crossed zero 15 times during today's trading session.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, 13648.93 (prelim)*, up 69.38 points, or 0.51%, or approximately $84.0 billion in market capitalization.
- Up three consecutive trading days and seven of the last eight.
- Highest close since July 26, 2011.
- Down 2096.46 points, or 13.31% (approximately $3.3 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 100.72% (approximately $7.9 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 2.37% over the past 52 weeks.
- Down 4.61% from its 52-week closing high of 14308.37 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 20.80% from its 52-week closing low of 11299.07 on October 3, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 4.84%.
- Year-to-date: up 4.84%, or approximately $734 billion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access