As part of its 30th anniversary celebration, NAPFA this week picked what it's calling the 30 most influential people in fee-only financial planning.
The members and staff were selected in mid-March by an online membership vote from a narrowed-down pool of 50 nominees. Over 100 individuals were initially nominated.
We are thrilled to honor these deserving individuals who have each made significant contributions to the organization and to the planning profession, NAPFA chair Lauren Locker said in a statement. Each of the honored helped create NAPFAs rich history through their contributions to the industry and dedication to the fee-only philosophy.
The 30 most influential come from a variety of firm types, and include solo practitioners, principals in large firms, and various NAPFA leaders and staff. The list includes incoming NAPFA chairwoman Linda Leitz and NAPFA Genesis founder (and Financial Planning columnist David Grant.)
When I first started with NAPFA, I used to see it as a tugboat very agile and nimble, says CEO and executive director (and honoree) Ellen Turf, who has been with the organization for 21 years. But now the organization has become an ocean liner," she says: "We had a plan, and stuck to our philosophy, and now were the nations leading professional association of fee-only advisors.
Turf, who has led NAPFA for nearly 14 years, told the organization in October 2012 that she would be retiring in August.
Below is a complete list of NAPFA's picks:
- Lewis J Altfest, CFA, CFP®, CPA/PFS -- Altfest Personal Wealth Management, New York
- William Baldwin, JD -- Pillar Financial Advisors, Waltham, Mass.
- Richard Bellmer, CFP -- Deerfield Financial Advisors, Indianapolis
- William Bengen, CFP -- Bengen Financial Services, La Quinta, Calif.
- Janet Briaud, CFP -- Briaud Financial Advisors, College Station, Texas
- Peggy Cabaniss, CFP -- HC Financial Advisors, Lafayette, Calif.
- Peg Downey, CFP -- Directions for Women, Chevy Chase, Md.
- David Drucker, CFP -- Drucker Knowledge Systems, Albuquerque, N.M.
- David Foster, CFP®, CPA -- Foster & Motley, Cincinnati
- Sheryl Garrett, AIF, CFP -- Garrett Planning Network, Eureka Springs, Ark.
- David Grant, CFP -- Vantage Financial Partners, Arlington Heights, Ill.
- Cheryl Holland, CFP -- Abacus Planning Group, Columbia, S.C.
- Nancy Hradsky -- NAPFA staff, Arlington Heights, Ill.
- Susan John, AIF, CFP -- Financial Focus, Wolfeboro, N.H.
- Bernard Kiely, CFP®, CPA -- Kiely Capital Management, Morristown, N.J.
- Diahann Lassus, CFP®, CPA/PFS -- Lassus Wherley, New Providence, N.J.
- Richard Lee, CFA, CFP -- Lee Financial, Dallas
- Linda Leitz, CDFA, CFP, EA -- Its Not Just Money, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Warren Mackensen, CFP -- Mackensen & Co., Hampton, N.H.
- Mary Malgoire, CFP -- The Family Firm, Bethesda, Md.
- Robert Maloney, AEP -- Squam Lakes Financial Advisors, Holderness, N.H.
- Carolyn McClanahan, CFP, MD -- LifePlanning Partners, Jacksonville, Fla.
- John Henry McDonald, CFP, RFC -- Austin Asset Management Co., Austin, Texas
- Thomas Orecchio, CFP, AIF, CFA, ChFC, CLU -- Modera Wealth Management, Westwood, N.J.
- Ron Rhoades, CFP, JD -- ScholarFi, Alfred, N.Y.
- John Ritter, CFP, CFS -- Ritter Daniher Financial Advisory, Cincinnati
- John Sestina, CFP, ChFC -- John E. Sestina and Co., Columbus, Ohio
- Ellen Turf -- NAPFA staff, Arlington Heights, Ill.
- Robert Underwood (deceased)
- Bert Whitehead -- Cambridge Connection, Franklin, Mich.
- Who's a Real Financial Planner?
- NAPFA Announces New Chairwoman
- NAPFA Launches Scholarships for Planners
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access