The Dow Jones Industrial Average rallied up 162.57 points Tuesday to close at 12,573.80 while the Nasdaq and S&P 500 surged up 33.34 points and 15.25 points, respectively.
Tuesday’s gains marked the fifth positive session in the past six days and the Dow’s highest closing value since late May.
In economic news, the Labor Department reported that import prices recorded their largest decline in two years as energy and food costs dropped 1% in May. Export prices fell for the first time since December, falling 0.4%.
Here are some more details from Tuesday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- Up five of the past six trading days.
- An intraday high of 12577.02 occurred at 15:44:15 today, representing an increase of 165.79 points, or 1.34%.
- An intraday low of 12411.91 occurred at 09:30:00 today.
- Highest closing value since May 29, 2012.
- Twenty-nine of the 30 component stocks rose, one fell.
- Today's top five performing stocks in the index: BA (18.69), IBM (15.44), CAT (14.08), MMM (11.73), AXP (10.44).
- Today's bottom five performing stocks in the index: UTX (-2.04), PFE (0.68), WMT (1.44), AA (1.51), BAC (1.59).
- Down 11.23% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 92.05% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 4.12% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 3.90% from its 2012 closing low of 12101.46 on June 04, 2012.
- Down 5.31% from its 52-week high of 13279.32 on May 01, 2012.
- Up 18.01% from its 52-week low of 10655.30 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 1.46%.
- Year-to-date: up 2.92%.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
13689.30, up 158.81 points, or 1.17%, or approximately $181 billion in market capitalization
- Up two of the past three trading days.
- Down 13.06% % (approximately $3.3 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 101.31% (approximately $7.9 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 1.61% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 3.65% from its 2012 closing low of 13206.64 on January 04, 2012.
- Down 7.13% from its 52-week high of 14740.15 on April 02, 2012.
- Up 21.15% from its 52-week low of 11299.07 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 0.76%, or approximately $112 billion in market cap.
- Year-to-date: up 5.15% (rounded), or approximately $722 billion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access