The Dow Jones Industrial Average trimmed 13 points to finish at 12,449.45 while tech stocks continued their recent resurgence on the heels of a pair of encouraging economic reports.
The Nasdaq moved up 8 points to 2,710.76 while the S&P 500 inched up 0.40 points to close at 1,292.48.
The U.S. economy grew at a moderate pace in late November and December as consumer spending picked up, according to the Federal Reserve's latest Beige Book report.
Weekly mortgage applications also increased in the first week of the year as demand for both purchases and refinancing moved higher, according to the Mortgage Bankers Association.
Also, Treasury prices built on their gains after government auctioned $21 billion in 10-year notes at high yield of 1.9% and bid-to-cover of 3.29. The government is scheduled to auction $13 billion in 30-year bonds later this week.
Here are some more details from Wednesday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- First drop in three trading sessions.
- An intraday high of 12462.58 occurred at 15:42:39 today, representing an increase of 0.11 points, or 0.001%.
- An intraday low of 12399.01 occurred at 10:01:50 today, representing a decrease of 63.46 points, or 0.51%.
- Today’s trading range of 63.57 points is its narrowest since December 27, 2011.
- Fourteen of the 30 component stocks rose, 16 fell.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: IBM (7.64), UTX (5.07), JPM (4.62), WMT (2.72), VZ (2.50).
- Today's bottom five laggards: CVX (-9.76), KO (-9.69), DIS (-7.04), PG (-4.92), XOM (-4.84).
- Down 1715.08 points, or 12.11% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 5.90% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 90.15% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 2.82% from its 52 week closing high of 12810.54 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 16.84% from its 52 week closing low of 10655.30 on October 3, 2011
- Month-to-date: up 1.90%.
- Year-to-date: up 1.90%.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, 13407.24 (prelim)*, up 13.87 points, or 0.10%, or approximately $21.5 billion in market capitalization.
- Up three straight days and four of the last five.
- Highest close since August 1, 2011.
- Down 2338.15 points, or 14.85% (approximately $3.6 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 97.16% (approximately $7.6 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 0.21% over the past 52 weeks.
- Down 6.30% from its 52 week closing high of 14308.37 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 18.66% from its 52 week closing low of 11299.07 on October 3, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 2.98%.
- Year-to-date: up 2.98%, or approximately $454 billion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access