Stocks moved higher Tuesday in light trading as the Dow Jones Industrial Average moved up 60 points to finish at 12,482.07 while the S&P 500 and Nasdaq picked up 4.58 and 17.41 points, respectively.
China reported GDP growth slowed from its previous quarters, but still managed to check in above most economists’ estimates. Meanwhile, a successful auction of Spanish short-term debt helped European shares close at a five-month high.
A pair of banks offered mixed earnings results at Citigroup fell short of analysts’ estimates while Wells Fargo delivered better-than-expected profits.
Here are some more details fromTuesday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- Up two of the last three trading days.
- Up 264.51 points, or 2.16% during the 1st 10-days of 2012.
- Best first 10-day of a new year since 2003 when it gained 381.55 points, or 4.57%.
- Highest close since July 26, 2011.
- An intraday high of 12573.65 occurred at 09:49:55 today, representing an increase of 151.59 points, or 1.22%.
- An intraday low of 12423.12 occurred at the open today.
- Twenty-three of the 30 component stocks rose, seven fell.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: UTX (7.27), CAT (6.74), IBM (6.36), XOM (6.13), BA (4.84).
- Today's bottom five laggards: JPM (-7.64), JNJ (-1.06), BAC (-0.98), GE (-0.76), INTC (-0.68).
- Down 1682.46 points, or 11.88% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 5.44% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 90.65% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 2.56% from its 52 week closing high of 12810.54 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 17.14% from its 52 week closing low of 10655.30 on October 3, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 2.16%.
- Year-to-date: up 2.16%.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, 13418.12 (prelim)*, up 44.71 points, or 0.33%, or approximately $41.1 billion in market capitalization.
- Up five of the last six trading days.
- Down 2327.27 points, or 14.78% (approximately $3.6 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 97.32% (approximately $7.6 trillion in market cap) from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 0.87% over the past 52 weeks.
- Down 6.22% from its 52 week closing high of 14308.37 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 18.75% from its 52 week closing low of 11299.07 on October 3, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 3.06%.
- Year-to-date: up 3.06%, or approximately $460 billion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access