The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed up 70 points to 12,462.47 Tuesday, the fourth positive session in six trading days so far this year. Tech stocks also perked up as the Nasdaq rallied up 26 points to finish at 2,702.50.
Wholesale inventories inched up 0.1% while wholesale sales climbed 1.6%. The rise in inventories was considerably less than the 0.6 percent consensus expectations, but had little impact on stocks.
Stocks posted decent gains even though the dollar was only slightly lower against most foreign currencies, a sign that American markets have lost some of their sensitivity to Europe.
The S&P 500 closed up 11 points to 1,292.08.
Here are some more details from Tuesday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- Up two consecutive trading days.
- Highest close since July 26, 2011.
- An intraday high of 12514.69 occurred at 10:05:05 today, representing an increase of 122.00 points, or 0.98%.
- An intraday low of 12394.51 occurred at the open today.
- Twenty-three of the 30 stocks rose, seven fell.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: CAT (21.65), UTX (14.61), JPM (5.68), DD (5.37), BA (3.56).
- Today's bottom five laggards: CVX (-3.25), PG (-2.35), IBM (-2.12), CSCO (-1.06), GE (-1.06).
- Down 1702.06 points, or 12.02% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 6.77% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 90.35% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 2.72% from its 52 week closing high of 12810.54 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 16.96% from its 52 week close low of 10655.30 on October 3, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 2.00%.
- Year-to-date: up 2.00%.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, 13393.37 (prelim)*, up 128.55 points, or 0.97%, or approximately $155 billion in market capitalization.
- Up two consecutive trading days and three of the last four.
- Highest close since August 1, 2011.
- Down 2352.02 points, or 14.94% (approximately $3.6 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 96.96% (approximately $7.6 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 0.56% over the past 52 weeks.
- Down 6.39% from its 52 week closing high of 14308.37 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 18.54% from its 52 week closing low of 11299.07 on October 3, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 2.87%.
- Year-to-date: up 2.87%, or approximately $433 billion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access