U.S. stocks moved slightly higher Monday as the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 32.77 points to finish at 12,392.69 while the Nasdaq and S&P 500 added 2.34 points and 2.89 points, respectively.
The gains came after carmakers at the Detroit auto show forecast 2012 U.S. auto sales to jump between 4% and 9%, the third consecutive annual gain.
Meanwhile, consumer credit expanded in November, increasing $20.37 billion, accordingto a Federal Reserve report, the biggest gain since 2001.
Here are some more details from Monday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- First gain in three trading days.
- An intraday high of 12409.08 occurred at 15:45:23 today, representing an increase of 49.16 points or 0.40%.
- An intraday low of 12333.85 occurred at 11:20:59 today, representing a decrease of 26.07 points, or 0.21%.
- Today’s trading range of 75.23 points is its lowest since December 27, 2011.
- Twenty-two of the 30 component stocks rose, seven fell, one was unchanged.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: CAT (10.14), CVX (8.93), BA (4.16), MMM (3.78), DD (2.95).
- Today's bottom five laggards: MCD (-7.27), IBM (-7.19), MSFT (-2.80), DIS (-1.21), MRK (-0.61).
- Down 1771.84 points, or 12.51% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 6.49% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 89.29% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 3.26% from its 52 week closing high of 12810.54 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 16.31% from its 52 week closing low of 10655.30 on October 3, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 1.43%.
- Year-to-date: up 1.43%.
- Traded in positive territory for 83 percent of the day.
- DJIA crossed zero 44 times during today's trading session.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, 13264.82 (prelim)*, up 35.82 points, or 0.27%, or approximately $40.6 billion in market capitalization.
- Up two of the last three trading sessions.
- Highest close since October 28, 2011.
- Down 2480.57 points, or 15.75% (approximately $3.8 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 95.07% (approximately $7.4 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 0.01% over the past 52 weeks.
- Down 7.29% from its 52 week closing high of 14308.37 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 17.40% from its 52 week closing low of 11299.07 on October 3, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 1.89%.
- Year-to-date: up 1.89%, or approximately $278 billion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access