The Dow Jones Industrial Average plunged another 156.06 points to end at 12,442.49 Thursday as Wall Street preps for Facebook’s much-anticipated debut on Friday.
The social networking giant priced its initial public offering at $38 a share, the high end of what will be the largest Internet IPO in history and value the company somewhere near $100 billion.
The Nasdaq tumbled 60.35 points to finish at 2,813.69 while the S&P 500 lost 20 points to close at 1,304.86.
Investors took note of the Labor Department’s report that claims for unemployment benefits were unchanged last week, checking in at a seasonally adjusted 370,000 claims rate. Most economists predicted claims would fall to around 365,000.
Also, the Conference Board said leading indicators declined 0.1% in April – the first drop in seven months.
Here are some more details from Thursday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- Down five consecutive trading days and 11 of the last 12 sessions.
- Longest streak of its kind since July 2002 (11 of 12 down days).
- Down 412.55 points, or 3.21%, over the five-day period.
- Largest one-day points and percentage decline since May 04, 2012.
- An intraday high of 12611.42 occurred at 09:30:43 today, representing an increase of 12.87 points, or 0.10%.
- An intraday low of 12440.52 occurred at 15:59:59 today, representing a decrease of 158.03 points, or 1.25%.
- Six of the 30 component stocks rose, 24 fell.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: WMT (18.85), VZ (3.71), T (0.76), CVX (0.30), HPQ (0.23).
- Today's bottom five laggards: CAT (-30.73), BA (-19.83), IBM (-13.93), MCD (-13.70), HD (-13.24).
- Lowest closing value since January 13, 2012.
- Down 12.16% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 90.05% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 1.29% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 0.67% from its 2012 closing low of 12359.92 on January 06, 2012.
- Down 6.30% from its 52-week high of 13279.32 on May 01, 2012.
- Up 16.77% from its 52-week low of 10655.30 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: down 5.84%.
- Year-to-date: up 1.84%.
- DJIA crossed zero 6 times during today's trading session.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
13520.92, down 234.26 points, or 1.70%, or approximately $114 billion in market capitalization
- Down five consecutive trading days.
- Down 578.61 points, or 4.10%, over the five-day period.
- Down seven of the past eight trading days.
- Largest one-day points and percentage decline since April 10, 2012.
- Lowest closing value since January 17, 2012.
- Down 14.13% (approximately $3.1 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 98.83% (approximately $8.1 trillion in market cap), from the 12 ½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 3.89% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 2.38% from its 2012 closing low of 13206.64 on January 04, 2012.
- Down 8.27% from its 52-week high of 14740.15 on April 02, 2012.
- Up 19.66% from its 52-week low of 11299.07 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: down 6.87%, or approximately $786 billion in market cap.
- Year-to-date: up 3.85%, or approximately $935 billion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access