The Dow Jones Industrial Average lost another 97 points to close at 12,835.06 Wednesday, its sixth consecutive losing session. Meanwhile the Nasdaq and S&P 500 lopped off 11.56 points and 9.14 points, respectively.
General uncertainty and anxiety about European sovereign debt issues and slowing economic growth weighed heavily on investors’ minds.
In economic news, wholesale inventories increased by a less-than-expected 0.3% in March to $480 billion, according to the Commerce Department. And the Mortgage Bankers Association said weekly mortgage applications rose again last week thanks mainly to increased purchase demand.
Here are some more details from Wednesday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- Down six consecutive trading days.
- Down 444.26 points, or 3.35% (rounded), over the six-day period.
- Longest losing streak since the eight-day period ended August 2, 2011.
- An intraday high of 12921.81occurred at the open today
- An intraday low of 12748.48 occurred at 10:29:39 today, representing a decrease of 183.61 points, or 1.42%.
- Six of the 30 component stocks rose, 24 fell.
- Today's five top contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: DIS (5.45), WMT (2.86), MSFT (1.97), PFE (1.89), CSCO (0.53).
- Today's bottom five laggards and their point contribution: UTX (-13.70), MCD (-12.26), CVX (-8.02), BA (-6.89), JPM (-5.60).
- Lowest closing value since April 11, 2012.
- Down 9.39% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 96.05% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 1.62% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 3.84% from its 2012 closing low of 12359.92 on January 06, 2012.
- Down 3.35% (rounded) from its 52-week high of 13279.32 on May 01, 2012.
- Up 20.46% from its 52-week low of 10655.30 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: down 2.87%.
- Year-to-date: up 5.05%.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
14063.06*, down 89.12 points, or 0.63%, or approximately $102 billion in market capitalization.
- Down two consecutive trading days and five of the last six sessions.
- Down 146.48 points, or 1.03%, over the two-day period.
- Largest two-day points and percentage decline since May 07, 2012.
- Lowest closing value since March 07, 2012.
- Down 10.68% (approximately $2.9 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 106.81% (approximately $8.3 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 0.05% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 6.48% from its 2012 closing low of 13206.64 on January 04, 2012.
- Down 4.59% from its 52-week high of 14740.15 on April 02, 2012.
- Up 24.46% from its 52-week low of 11299.07 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: down 3.14%, or approximately $539 billion in market cap.
- Year-to-date: up 8.02%, or approximately $1.2 trillion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access