U.S. stocks fell Monday after Moody's Investors Service said last week's European fiscal pact will not deter it from reconsidering the credit ratings of all European Union nations.
The Dow Jones Industrial average shed 162.87 points to finish at 12,021.39 while the Nasdaq and S&P 500 lost 34.59 points and 18.72 points, respectively.
Here are some of the details from Monday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- Down 162.87 points, or 1.34%, to 12021.39
- Down two of the last three trading sessions.
- An intraday high of 12181.38 occurred at the open today.
- An intraday low of 11940.86 occurred at 11:56:49 today, representing a decrease of 243.40 points, or 2.00%.
- Two of the 30 component stocks rose, 28 fell.
- Today's best five performing stocks in the index: MCD (3.41), DIS (0.68), T (-0.15), VZ (-0.61), PFE (-1.29).
- Today's worst five performing stocks in the index: CAT (-20.66), IBM (-18.01), UTX (-13.85), MMM (-12.19), XOM (-9.76).
- Down 2143.14 points, or 15.13% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 5.19% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 83.62% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 6.16% from its 2011 closing high of 12810.54 on April 29.
- Up 12.82% from its 2011 closing low of 10655.30 on October 3.
- Month-to-date: down 0.20%.
- Year-to-date: up 3.83%.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, 12815.88 (prelim)*, down 197.23 points, or 1.52%, or approximately $230 billion in market capitalization.
- Down two of the last three trading days.
- Down 2929.51 points, or 18.61% (approximately $4.2 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 88.47% (approximately $7.0 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 0.94% over the past 52 weeks.
- Down 10.43% from its 2011 closing high of 14308.37 on April 29.
- Up 13.42% from its 2011 closing low of 11299.07 on October 3.
- Month-to-date: down 0.92%.
- Year-to-date: down 2.40%, or approximately $466 billion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access