The Dow Jones Industrial Average picked up 21.57 points to close at 12,471.02 while the Nasdaq recorded its sixth consecutive winning session, gaining 14 points to finish at 2,724.70.
Meanwhile, the S&P 500 moved up 3 points to close at 1,295.50.
The Labor Department reported weekly unemployment claims rose more than expected, adding 24,000 more claims to a seasonally adjusted 399,000.
Also, retail sales rose only 0.1% in December, the weakest increase in seven months.
Here are some more details from Thursday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- Up three of the last four trading sessions.
- Highest close since July 26, 2011.
- An intraday high of 12483.70 occurred at 15:52:04 today, representing an increase of 34.25 points, or 0.28%.
- An intraday low of 12385.08 occurred at 10:49:32 today, representing a decrease of 64.37 points, or 0.52%.
- Twenty-two of the 30 component stocks rose, eight fell.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: CAT (17.41), DD (6.05), BA (5.83), AXP (5.30), MCD (4.84).
- Today's bottom five laggards: CVX (-21.19), IBM (-13.40), KO (-3.71), XOM (-2.57), TRV (-0.76).
- Down 1693.51 points, or 11.96% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 6.30% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 90.48% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 2.65% from its 52 week closing high of 12810.54 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 17.04% from its 52 week closing low of 10655.30 on October 3, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 2.07%
- Year-to-date: up 2.07%.
- DJIA crossed zero 14 times during today's trading session.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, 13443.57 (prelim)*, up 36.33 points, or 0.27%, or approximately $2.1 billion in market capitalization.
- Up four consecutive trading days and five of the last six.
- Highest close since August 1, 2011.
- Down 2301.82 points, or 14.62% (approximately $3.6 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 97.70% (approximately $7.6 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 0.21% over the past 52 weeks.
- Down 6.04% from its 52 week closing high of 14308.37 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 18.98% from its 52 week closing low of 11299.07 on October 3, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 3.26%.
- Year-to-date: up 3.26%, or approximately $452 billion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access