Stocks kicked off the week with slight losses Monday as the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 11.66 points to close at 12,708.82.
The Nasdaq trimmed 2.53 points to finish at 2,784.17 and the S&P 500 inched up 0.62 points to end at 1,316.00.
Monday’s dip ended a four-day rally for the Dow.
Here are some more details from Monday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- Today’s drop snaps a four-day win streak.
- An intraday high of 12764.49 occurred at 10:17:53 today, representing an increase of 44.01 points, or 0.35%.
- Highest intraday level since May 10, 2011.
- An intraday low of 12665.83 occurred at 12:15:46 today, representing a decrease of 54.65 points, or 0.43%.
- Twelve of the 30 component stocks rose, 18 fell.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: IBM (11.05), CAT (5.52), HPQ (4.16), KO (3.33), HD (2.80).
- Today's bottom five laggards: TRV (-9.84), PG (-9.31), MCD (-5.98), AXP (-4.54), VZ (-4.31).
- Down 1455.71 points, or 10.28% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 6.08% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 94.12% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 0.79% from its 52-week closing high of 12810.54 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 19.27% from its 52-week closing low of 10655.30 on October 3, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 4.02%.
- Year-to-date: up 4.02%.
- DJIA crossed zero 38 times during today's trading session.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, 13660.52 (prelim)*, up 3.03 points, or 0.02%, or approximately $19.3 billion in market capitalization.
- Up five consecutive trading days and nine of the last 10.
- Highest close since July 26, 2011.
- Down 2084.87 points, or 13.24% (approximately $3.3 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 9, 2007.
- Up 100.89% (approximately $7.9 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 1.67% over the past 52 weeks.
- Down 4.53% from its 52-week closing high of 14308.37 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 20.90% from its 52-week closing low of 11299.07 on October 3, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 4.92%.
- Year-to-date: up 4.92%, or approximately $759 billion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access