The Dow Jones Industrial Average stormed up 155.53 points Thursday to close at 12,651.91 while the Nasdaq and S&P 500 added 17.72 points and 14.22 points, respectively.
In economic news, the Labor Department reported that weekly unemployment claims jumped 6,000 claims to a seasonally adjusted total of 386,000 claims last week.
Also, consumer prices fell 0.3% in May, the largest decline in nearly three years.
Here are some more details from Thursday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- Up six of the past eight trading days.
- An intraday high of 12698.68 occurred at 15:08:38 today, representing an increase of 202.30 points, or 1.62%
- An intraday low of 12497.66 occurred at 09:30:02 today.
- Twenty-eight of the 30 component stocks rose, two fell.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: IBM (15.14), CVX (13.55), MCD (13.24), XOM (11.35), TRV (11.13).
- Today's bottom five laggards: BA (-1.59), AXP (-0.38), HPQ (0.83), BAC (1.21), AA (1.29).
- Highest closing value since May 14, 2012.
- Down 10.68% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 93.24% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 5.77% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 4.55% (rounded) from its 2012 closing low of 12101.46 on June 04, 2012.
- Down 4.72% from its 52-week high of 13279.32 on May 01, 2012.
- Up 18.74% from its 52-week low of 10655.30 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 2.09%.
- Year-to-date: up 3.56%.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
13724.51, up 144.36 points, or 1.06%, or approximately $165 billion in market capitalization
- Up two of the past three trading days.
- Down 12.83% (approximately $3.3 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 101.83% (approximately $7.9 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 3.55% (rounded) from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 3.92% from its 2012 closing low of 13206.64 on January 04, 2012.
- Down 6.89% from its 52-week high of 14740.15 on April 02, 2012.
- Up 21.47% from its 52-week low of 11299.07 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 1.02%, or approximately $147 billion in market cap.
- Year-to-date: up 5.42%, or approximately $757 billion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access