The Dow Jones Industrial Average added another 45.79 points Friday to close at 12,949.87, pushing the index up 6% so far for the year.
The Nasdaq shed 8 points to end at 2,951.78 while the S&P 500 added 3.19 points to close at 1,361.23.
The Labor Department reported that consumer prices rose 0.2% in January as gasoline prices gained, their sharpest increase in four months but slightly less than 0.3% increase most economists had forecast.
Meanwhile, leading indicators rose 0.4% in January to 94.9, according to the Conference Board, setting a three-year high. Economists had expected the index to increase 0.5%.
Here are some more details from Friday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- This week: DJIA, up 148.64 points or 1.16%.
- Up five of the past seven weeks.
- Today: DJIA, up 45.79 points, or 0.35%.
- Up two consecutive trading days and four of the last five.
- Up 168.92 points, or 1.32%, over the two-day period.
- Largest two-day points & percentage gain since January 04, 2012.
- A new 52 week high.
- Highest closing value since May 19, 2008.
- An intraday high of 12967.92 occurred at 15:28:06 today, representing an increase of 63.84 points, or 0.49%.
- An intraday low of 12903.25 occurred at 09:30:02 today, representing a decrease of 0.83 points, or 0.01%.
- Today’s session had a trading range of 64.67 points, its narrowest intraday swing since January 19, 2012.
- Nineteen of the 30 component stocks rose, 11 fell.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: DD (7.19), HD (5.90), MCD (5.52), UTX (4.24), INTC (4.01).
- Today's bottom five laggards: HPQ (-2.27), PG (-2.19), KFT (-1.74), AA (-0.98), PFE (-0.98).
- Down 8.58% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 97.80% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 4.51% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 4.77% from its 2012 closing low of 12359.92 on January 06, 2012.
- Up 21.53% from its 52-week low of 10655.30 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 2.51%.
- Year-to-date: up 5.99%.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
- This week: Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, up 207.72 points or 1.48%.
- Up six of the past seven weeks.
- Today: Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, up 22.15 points, or 0.16%, or approximately $25.7 billion in market capitalization.
- Up two consecutive trading days and nine of the last 13 sessions.
- Up 193.27 points, or 1.38%, over the two-day period.
- Largest two-day points & percentage gain since February 06, 2012.
- A new 2012 closing high.
- Highest closing value since July 07, 2011.
- Down 9.76% (or approximately $2.6 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 108.94% (or approximately $8.6 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 1.18% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 7.58% from its 2012 closing low of 13206.64 on January 04, 2012.
- Down 0.70% from its 52-week high of 14308.37 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 25.75% from its 52-week low of 11299.07 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 3.99%, or $640 billion in market cap.
- Year-to-date: up 9.13%, or $1.4 trillion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access