Despite generally strong quarterly earnings and outlooks from companies in a variety sectors, the Dow Jones Industrial Average still fell another 68.65 points to end at 12,964.10 Thursday.
The Nasdaq lost 23.89 points to finish at 3,007.56 and the S&P 500 shed 8.22 points to finish at 1,376.92.
Morgan Stanley, Bank of America, Verizon, DuPont and Microsoft all topped analysts’ estimates in the first quarter.
Investors reacted to the news that existing home sales fell 2.6% to an annual rate of 4.48 million units in March, well below the 4.62 million units most economists had predicted.
Also, the Labor Department said new jobless claims fell 2,000 to a seasonally adjusted 386,000 last week, significantly more than the 370,000 claims most experts had forecast.
Here are some more details from Thursday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- Down two consecutive trading days.
- Down 151.44 points, or 1.15%, over the two-day period.
- Largest two-day points and percentage decline since April 10, 2012.
- An intraday high of 13080.20 occurred at 11:06:39 today, representing an increase of 47.45 points, or 0.36%.
- An intraday low of 12896.82 occurred at 14:36:50 today, representing a decrease of 135.93 points, or 1.04%.
- Three of the 30 component stocks rose, 27 fell.
- Today's top five performing stocks in the index: TRV (16.88), VZ (3.71), GE (0.30), T (-0.08), MRK (-0.30).
- Today's bottom five laggards: MCD (-15.59), CAT (-10.52), CVX (-6.66), UTX (-6.05), DD (-5.00).
- Down 8.47% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 98.01% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 3.66% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 4.89% from its 2012 closing low of 12359.92 on January 06, 2012.
- Down 2.26% from its 52-week high of 13264.49 on April 02, 2012.
- Up 21.67% from its 52-week low of 10655.30 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: down 1.88%.
- Year-to-date: up 6.11%.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, 14291.88*, down 76.99 points, or 0.54%, or approximately $86.8 billion in market capitalization.
- Down two consecutive trading days and four of the last five sessions.
- Down 138.43 points, or 0.96%, over the two-day period.
- Down 9.23% (approximately $2.6 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 110.17% (approximately $8.6 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 1.87% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 8.22% from its 2012 closing low of 13206.64 on January 04, 2012.
- Down 3.04% from its 52-week high of 14740.15 on April 02, 2012.
- Up 26.49% from its 52-week low of 11299.07 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: down 2.29%, or approximately $403 billion in market cap.
- Year-to-date: up 9.77%, or approximately $1.4 trillion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access