The Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 82.79 points to close at 13,032.75 Wednesday while the Nasdaq and S&P 500 lopped off 11.37 points and 5.64 points, respectively.
In economic news, the Mortgage Bankers Association reported a sharp increase in mortgage applications after a dip in interest rate spurred robust demand for refinancings.
Here are some more details from Wednesday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- First loss in three days.
- An intraday high of 13114.56 occurred at the open today.
- An intraday low of 13027.49 occurred at 13:58:53 today, representing a decrease of 88.05 points, or 0.67%.
- Seven of the 30 component stocks rose, 22 fell, one was unchanged.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: CAT (6.05), XOM (2.27), MCD (1.74), KO (1.67), HPQ (1.59).
- Today's bottom five laggards: IBM (-55.40), JNJ (-7.27), JPM (-4.62), INTC (-4.01), TRV (-3.94).
- Down 7.99% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 99.06% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 4.65% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 5.44% from its 2012 closing low of 12359.92 on January 06, 2012.
- Down 1.75 % (rounded) from its 52-week high of 13264.49 on April 02, 2012.
- Up 22.31% from its 52-week low of 10655.30 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: down 1.36%.
- Year-to-date: up 6.67%.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, 14368.87*, down 61.44 points, or 0.43%, or approximately $70.9 billion in market capitalization.
- Down three of the past four trading days.
- Down 8.74% (approximately $2.5 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 111.30% (approximately $8.7 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 3.01% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 8.80% from its 2012 closing low of 13206.64 on January 04, 2012.
- Down 2.52% from its 52-week high of 14740.15 on April 02, 2012.
- Up 27.17% from its 52-week low of 11299.07 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: down 1.77%, or approximately $316 billion in market cap.
- Year-to-date: up 10.37% or approximately $1.5 trillion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access