The Dow Jones Industrial Average plunged 213.66 points to close at 12,715.93 Tuesday as investors continued to dump shares following more disappointing economic data.
The Nasdaq lost 55.86 points to end at 2,991.22 while the S&P 500 shed 23.61 points to close at 1,358.59.
Investors reacted to news that wholesale inventories rose more than expected in February (0.9%) to a record $478.9 billion, according the Commerce Department. Economists surveyed by Reuters predicted only a 0.5% increase.
Also, The National Federation of Independent Business reported that small business confidence declined for the first time in six months, with the organization’s index slipping to 92.5 in March from 94.3 in February.
Here are some more details from Tuesday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- Down five consecutive trading days, its longest losing streak since the eight-day period ended August 2, 2011.
- Down 548.56 points, or 4.14%, over the five-day period.
- Down seven of the past ten trading days.
- Largest one-day points and percentage decline since November 23, 2011.
- Lowest closing value since February 02, 2012.
- One of the 30 components stocks rose, 29 fell.
- Today's top five performing stocks in the index:HPQ (0.91), PFE (-0.53), WMT (-1.51), MRK (-2.12), AA (-2.19).
- Today's bottom five performing stocks in the index: CAT (-23.76), IBM (-19.75), CVX (-15.44), BA (-13.85), MMM (-13.24).
- Traded in negative territory for 100 percent of the day.
- The average tick today was 0.33 point.
- Down 10.23% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 94.22% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 hit on March 9, 2009.
- Up 3.69% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 2.88% from its 2012 closing low of 12359.92 on January 06, 2012.
- Down 4.14% from its 52-week high of 13264.49 on April 02, 2012.
- Up 19.34% from its 52-week low of 10655.30 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: down 3.75%.
- Year-to-date: up 4.08%.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, 14074.23*, down 262.37 points, or 1.83%, or approximately $307 billion in market capitalization.
- Down five consecutive trading days.
- Down 665.92 points, or 4.52%, over the five-day period.
- Down eight of the past ten trading days.
- Largest one-day points and percentage decline since December 08, 2011.
- Lowest closing value since March 07, 2012.
- Down 10.61% (approximately $2.8 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 106.97% (approximately $8.3 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 2.31% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 6.57% from its 2012 closing low of 13206.64 on January 04, 2012.
- Down 4.52% from its 52-week high of 14740.15 on April 02, 2012.
- Up 24.56% from its 52-week low of 11299.07 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: down 3.78% (approximately $658 billion in market cap).
- Year-to-date: up 8.10% (approximately $1.2 trillion in market cap).
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access