The Dow Jones Industrial Average spent most of the day in the red Tuesday before fighting back for a 4.24-point gain, closing at 12,878.28.
The Nasdaq inched up 0.44 points to 2,931.83 and the S&P 500 shed 1.27 points to end at 1,350.50.
Investors were put off by a Commerce Department report that found retail sales increased a slower rate than expected (0.4%) in January, well below the 0.7% increase most economists had predicted.
Meanwhile, import prices rose 0.3% in January, according to the Labor Department as petroleum and food rebounded strongly. Economists had been looking for only a 0.2% bump.
In Europe, Rating agency Moody's warned it may cut the triple-A ratings of France, the United Kingdom and Austria, and downgraded the ratings for a handful of countries including Italy, Portugal, Spain, Slovakia, Slovenia and Malta.
Here are some more details from Tuesday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- Up two consecutive trading days and five of the last six sessions.
- Up 77.05 points, or 0.60%, over the two-day trading period.
- Down 9.08% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 09, 2007.
- An intraday high of 12878.88 occurred at 16:00:00 today, representing an increase of 4.84 points, or 0.04%.
- An intraday low of 12786.93 occurred at 14:32:39 today, representing a decrease of 87.11 points, or 0.68%.
- Sixteen of the 30 component stocks rose, 14 fell.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: CAT (5.68), BA (5.37), KO (3.48), WMT (3.25), HPQ (2.50).
- Today's bottom five laggards: DD (-7.11), IBM (-3.03), JPM (-2.88), BAC (-2.04), UTX (-1.82).
- Up 96.70% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 5.33% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 4.19% from its 2012 closing low of 12359.92 on January 06, 2012.
- Down 0.09% from its 52-week high of 12890.46 on February 09, 2012.
- Up 20.86% from its 52-week low of 10655.30 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 1.94%.
- Year-to-date: up 5.41%.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market, 14088.05, down 18.39 points, or 0.13%, or approximately $24.0 billion in market capitalization. .
- Down two of the past three trading days.
- Up 1.51% from 52 weeks ago.
- Down 0.15% from its 2012 closing high of 14109.41 on February 09, 2012.
- Up 6.67% from its 2012 closing low of 13206.64 on January 04, 2012.
- Down 10.53% (or approximately 2.8 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 107.17% (or approximately $8.4 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 1.54% from its 52-week high of 14308.37 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 24.68% from its 52-week low of 11299.07 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 3.11%, or approximately $501 billion in market cap.
- Year-to-date: up 8.21%, or approximately $1.3 trillion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access