The Dow Jones Industrial Average trimmed off 1.74 points to close at 12,982.95 Friday while the Nasdaq and S&P 500 added 6.77 points and 2.28 points, respectively.
The Dow briefly eclipsed the 13,000-point threshold a couple times this week before eventually falling short despite generally positive economic news.
Investors on Friday reacted to news that the Thomson Reuters-University of Michigan consumer sentiment index jumped to 75.3 in February, its highest level in almost a year and well above the 73 score most economists had forecast.
However, new home sales fell 0.9% in January to a seasonally adjusted 321,000-unit annual rate, according to the Commerce Department. Economists had expected sales at a 315,000-unit rate.
Here are some more details from Friday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- DJIA, this week: up 33.08 points, or 0.26%
- Up two consecutive weeks and three of the last four.
- Up 181.72 points, or 1.42%, over the two-week period.
- DJIA, today: down 1.74 points, or 0.01%.
- Down two of the past three trading days.
- An intraday high of 13013.82 occurred at 10:08:42 today, representing an increase of 29.13 points, or 0.22%.
- Today's intraday high of 13013.82 is the highest since 05/20/2008.
- An intraday low of 12950.59 occurred at 14:37:01 today, representing a decrease of 34.10 points, or 0.26%.
- Fourteen of the 30 component stocks rose, 16 fell.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: CVX (5.52), AXP (5.00), UTX (3.63), XOM (2.42), MMM (2.27).
- Today's bottom five laggards: MCD (-3.71), DD (-3.33), HPQ (-3.10), TRV (-2.72), MRK (-2.35).
- Down 8.34% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 98.30% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 7.03% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 5.04% from its 2012 closing low of 12359.92 on January 06, 2012.
- Down 0.01% from its 52-week high of 12984.69 on February 23, 2012.
- Up 21.84% from its 52-week low of 10655.30 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 2.77%.
- Year-to-date: up 6.26%.
- DJIA crossed zero 28 times during today's trading session.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, this week: up 36.51 points, or 0.26%
- Up two consecutive weeks.
- Up 244.23 points, or 1.74%, over the two-week period.
- Up seven of the past eight weeks.
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index, today: up 18.39 points, or 0.13%, or approximately $22.5 billion in market capitalization.
- Up two consecutive trading days.
- Up 97.19 points, or 0.69%, over the two-day trading period.
- Largest two-day points and percentage gain since February 17, 2012.
- Up four of the past six trading days.
- A new 2012 closing high.
- Highest closing value since May 02, 2011.
- Down 9.53% (approximately $2.6 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 109.48% (approximately $8.6 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 3.22% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 7.86% from its 2012 closing low of 13206.64 on January 04, 2012.
- Down 0.44% from its 52-week high of 14308.37 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 26.07% from its 52-week low of 11299.07 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 4.26%, or approximately $678 billion in market cap.
- Year-to-date: up 9.41%, or approximately $1.4 trillion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access