The Dow Jones Industrial Average moved up 15.82 points to close at 12.965.69 Tuesday after briefly rallying past the 13,000-point level in early trading. The Nasdaq lost 3.21 points to finish at 2,948.57 while the S&P 500 inched up 0.98 points to end at 1,362.21.
Oil prices continued to soar Tuesday as U.S. light sweet crude surged about $105 a barrel amid supply disruptions.
On the bright side, eurozone finance ministers agreed on a 130 billion euro bailout for Greece that will avoid a default in March after convincing private bondholders to take greater losses and the Greek government committed to deep spending cuts.
Here are some more details from Tuesday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- Up three consecutive trading days and five of the last six sessions.
- Up 184.74 points, or 1.45%, over the three-day trading period.
- Largest three-day points and percentage gain since February 03, 2012.
- A new 52 week high.
- Highest closing value since May 19, 2008.
- An intraday low of 12926.11 occurred at 14:55:52 today, representing a decrease of 23.76 points, or 0.18%.
- An intraday high of 13005.04 occurred at 12:05:42 today, representing an increase of 55.17 points, or 0.43%.
- The last time The Dow reached an intraday level of 13000 or more was on May 20, 2008 at 13026.04.
- The last time The Dow closed at or above 13000 was on May 19, 2008 at 13028.16.
- The first time The Dow closed at or above 13000 was on April 25, 2007 at 13089.89.
- It took 127 trading days to reach 13000 from the first close above 12000.
- On a closing basis – The Dow has crossed the 13000 level eight times (one-way going up).
- It took only 59 trading days for The Dow to reach 14000 from the first close above 13000 – second fastest 1000 point advance.
- The fastest 1000 point milestone run was from 10000 to 11000 with just 24 trading days.
- Nineteen of the 30 component stocks rose, 11 fell.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: CVX (13.24), CAT (7.95), XOM (7.19), KFT (4.24), MCD (3.78).
- Today's bottom five laggards: WMT (-18.24), TRV (-4.39), PG (-3.71), MRK (-3.25), HPQ (-1.82).
- Up 98.04% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Down 8.46% from its record close of 14164.53 October 09, 2007.
- Up 6.16% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 4.90% from its 2012 closing low of 12359.92 on January 06, 2012.
- Up 21.68% from its 52-week low of 10655.30 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 2.63%.
- Year-to-date: up 6.12%.
- DJIA crossed zero 35 times during today's trading session.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
- Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market, 14200.45, down 7.78 points, or 0.05%, or approximately $22.5 billion in market capitalization.
- First drop in three trading days.
- Down 9.81% (approximately $2.6 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 108.83% (approximately $8.5 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 3.36% from 52 weeks ago.
- Down 0.05% from its 2012 closing high of 14208.23 on February 17, 2012.
- Up 7.53% from its 2012 closing low of 13206.64 on January 04, 2012.
- Down 0.75% from its 52 week high of 14308.37 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 25.68% from its 52-week low of 11299.07 on October 03, 2011.
- Month-to-date: up 3.93%, or approximately $625 billion in market cap.
- Year-to-date: up 9.07%, or approximately $1.4 trillion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access