The Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 28 points to finish at 12,980.30 Thursday while tech stocks lifted the Nasdaq 22 points to end at 2,988.97.
The S&P 500 rose 8.41 points to close at 1,374.09.
The Labor Department reported that weekly unemployment claims fell by 2,000 to a seasonally adjusted 351,000 last week, nearly a four-year low. Also the four-week moving average for new claims fell 5,500 to 354,000, the lowest level since March 2008.
Personal income gained 0.3% in January, according to the Commerce Department. Inflation-adjusted consumer spending has now been unchanged for three straight months.
Here are some more details from Thursday’s trading session:
Dow Jones Industrial Average:
- Up two of the past three trading days.
- Largest one-day points and percentage gain since February 23, 2012.
- An intraday high of 13032.67 occurred at 09:59:03 today, representing an increase of 80.60 points, or 0.62%.
- An intraday low of 12943.06 occurred at 15:39:44 today, representing a decrease of 9.01 points, or 0.07%.
- Seventeen of the 30 component stocks rose, 12 fell, one was unchanged.
- Today's top five contributors to The Dow's movement and their point contribution: JPM (8.55), IBM (6.05), AXP (5.15), CVX (4.84), MSFT (4.16).
- Today's bottom five laggards: PG (-6.51), CAT (-6.21), MRK (-2.88), KO (-1.97), WMT (-1.97).
- Down 8.36% from its record close of 14164.53 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 98.26% from its 12-year closing low of 6547.05 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 5.89% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 5.02% from its 2012 closing low of 12359.92 on January 06, 2012.
- Down 0.19% from its 52-week high of 13005.12 on February 28, 2012.
- Up 21.82% from its 52-week low of 10655.30 on October 03, 2011.
- Year-to-date: up 6.24%.
- DJIA crossed zero 22 times during today's trading session.
Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index:
- Up 90.92 points, or 0.64% to 14302.61*, or approximately $108 billion in market capitalization.
- Up five of the past six trading days.
- A new 2012 closing high.
- Largest one-day points & percentage gain since February 16, 2012.
- Highest closing value since April 29, 2011.
- Down 9.16% (approximately $2.5 trillion in market cap), from its record close of 15745.39 on October 09, 2007.
- Up 110.33% (approximately $8.7 trillion in market cap), from the 12-½ year closing low of 6800.08 on March 9, 2009.
- Up 2.78% from 52 weeks ago.
- Up 8.30% from its 2012 closing low of 13206.64 on January 04, 2012.
- Down 0.04% from its 52-week high of 14308.37 on April 29, 2011.
- Up 26.58% from its 52-week low of 11299.07 on October 03, 2011.
- Year-to-date: up 9.86%, or approximately 1.5 trillion in market cap.
Data courtesy of Dow Jones Indexes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Financial Planning content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access